LifeSmarts Identity Theft Essay Contest 2024
Identity theft happens to millions of Americans every year, including young people. What can we do to educate others and begin to address the problem? Enter the LifeSmarts Identity Theft Essay Contest and explain your creative and thoughtful solutions.
In partnership with Norton, LifeSmarts is awarding five $1,000 scholarships to students who write winning essays about identity theft.
Who: All student competitors competing in the 2024 National LifeSmarts Championship
What: Five $1,000 scholarships awarded
Students will write essays of up to 500 words sharing their knowledge of identity theft and / or expressing creative solutions to the problem of identity theft.
Students may use one or more of these questions as prompts in writing their essays:
- What makes young people attractive targets for identity theft and how can young people protect themselves?
- What steps do you recommend to protect personal information shared on social media so that it does not help someone steal your identity?
- If you have had your identity stolen, describe the steps you took to remedy the situation. What were the short- and long-term effects?
When: The deadline for submissions is March 28, 2024 at 12:00 midnight EST
How: Submit your essay using the form below
Scoring: Judges will evaluate essays using the following criteria:
- Knowledge of identity theft, and/or ideas for solutions including suggestions for teens / young people to protect themselves; social media recommendations; steps to remedy identity theft; and short-and long-term effects (10 points)
- creativity and theme (5 points)
- readability and clarity (5 points)
- spelling and grammar (5 points)
LifeSmarts thanks Norton for underwriting new educational content about online safety and identity theft, and for providing these scholarships for LifeSmarts students.