LifeSmarts is a program to develop the consumer and marketplace skills of teenagers. The mailing address is:
c/o National Consumers League
1701 K Street NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20006
What information is collected?
- LifeSmarts collects the names, addresses, email addresses, ages, grades, and team affiliations of students who participate in its consumer knowledge program.
- The names, addresses, email addresses, phone and fax numbers, and affiliations of LifeSmarts team coaches and state coordinators are also collected.
- Quotes and pictures of LifeSmarts participants may be obtained with their permission.
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of people who purchase LifeSmarts educational materials are collected in order to fulfill those orders.
- Records of payments to LifeSmarts are also retained.
- When people visit www.lifesmarts.org, NCL can obtain information from its Internet Service Provider about what countries they came from, what Web sites they visited immediately before, the most popular LifeSmarts Web pages visited, the total number of visitors. NCL can also gather composite information about the number of hits each question in the database received, and how many times the question was answered correctly or incorrectly. This information is not tied in any way to other information such as people’s names, schools, or individual player’s scores.
- Web visitors’ names, email addresses, and other personally identifiable information are not collected unless they register on the site to become part of an online LifeSmarts team. If a person uses the site to take practice quizzes, no personally identifying information is collected.
How is personally identifying information used?
- LifeSmarts uses information about students, coaches and state coordinators to coordinate and monitor the program.
- State coordinators are given contact information for LifeSmarts team coaches within their states and for coordinators in other states. State coordinators also receive composite team scores and individual player scores for all teams registered for their states. They do not receive personally identifying player information.
- Coaches receive scores for students on their teams. Throughout the program year, coaches also receive periodic updates about their teams and information pertaining to LifeSmarts. (Note: They do not receive contact information – we assume they already know how to find their own students.)
- Personally identifying information is not shared with others, except that the names of all participants in the national LifeSmarts competition are distributed at that event.
- Quotes and pictures are used with the consent of the individuals.
- LifeSmarts coaches and state coordinators may be contacted about other NCL activities.
- Students who participate in the LifeSmarts national competition receive a complimentary one-year membership to NCL.
- Individuals outside of the program who purchase LifeSmarts educational materials are sent information about NCL only if they have explicitly agreed to receive it.
- Payment information is shared with others only to the extent necessary for processing.
If you have any questions or problems concerning NCL’s privacy practices, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 835-3323.