I am inspired! I returned home from the 2017 National LifeSmarts Championship tired and a little worse for wear, but very inspired by the teams who competed in Pittsburgh this week.
I am inspired by:
- LifeSmarts spirit – we kicked off our event with a rousing roll call, and the excitement continued through team activities, buzzer matches, the unveiling of Visa’s Financial Football, LifeSmarts Edition, and all the way through our semifinal and final matches
- Students who quiz each other in the hallways before every match
- Teams who always shake hands after a match, win or lose
- Students who wrote heart-felt essays to nominate their coaches for LifeSmarts Coach of the Year
- All that you know! Students demonstrated knowledge about safety, health care laws, the free market economy, what to do if you are a victim of identity theft, tech acronyms, and everything in between. What don’t LifeSmarts students know at this point?
- Teams who hit a homerun on the Food Waste Audit Project – we threw you a curveball, and you smacked it out of the park! You helped us learn so much more about this issue from the school’s perspective
- Our Safety Smart Ambassadors who conducted over 200 safety and environmental presentations, educating and building confidence in more than 3,500 younger students in just two months
- Rookie teams who learned a lot, maybe felt intimidated a little at times, but rose to the challenge and vow to come back bigger and stronger next year
- Coaches who model good sportsmanship
- Sister teams who hit it off and went site-seeing and ate meals together
- Teams that embraced Pittsburgh and all of the fun activities there, like cheering for the Pirates at PNC Park, going up (and down) the Duquesne Incline, and eating at Primanti Brothers
- Coaches who go the extra mile (constantly) for their students
- The dedication of the state coordinators, sponsors and volunteers who join us to help make the event such a success
Thank you to everyone who inspired me during the 2017 National LifeSmarts Championship!
We can’t wait to see you in 2018. Make plans to join us! The 24th National LifeSmarts Championship will be held in San Diego April 21-24, 2018. Join us, find your inspiration!