Things are in full swing here at LifeSmarts, but there is plenty of time to get your team in on the action and take advantage of all that LifeSmarts offers. Want to compete? Start practicing online to prepare for competition. Looking for scholarship money? Become a Safety Smart Ambassador. Belong to a student leadership organization? Special competitions are open for FBLA and FCCLA chapters right now.
Here are the details on a few of the things going on at LifeSmarts. Join us!
- We have 24 teams (!) joining us in Denver this weekend for the first FCCLA National Cluster Meeting. The teams will compete in the FCCLA/LifeSmarts Knowledge Bowl and the top six winners advance directly to FCCLA’s National Leadership Conference next summer. We’ll meet additional teams two weeks later in Orlando.
- The FBLA LifeSmarts Fall Challenge is open now through November 11. FBLA teams compete online for the opportunity to advance to the FBLA summer leadership conference. Teams of two students compete both individually and together for a total score.
- State online competitions begin wrapping up in one month! The first state to close, Hawaii, remains open through December 2. There is no time like the present to practice and get ready to finish competition!
- The consumer rights and responsibilities TeamSmarts quiz is open for teams throughout November. The top-scoring Varsity, FBLA, and FCCLA teams each receive $100 cash prizes.
- Six $1,000 Safety Smart Ambassador scholarships will be awarded in January. The deadline to apply is December 16, 2016. There is a teacher-led lesson to help launch the project, and scripted presentations that align with Disney videos for students to use to engage younger children. Safety Ambassadors may choose topics such as transportation safety, home safety, character, online safety, going green, or being healthy and fit. Everything you need to get started is free and available at: LifeSmarts.org/safetysmart. (Teams headed to the National LifeSmarts Championship in 2017 may use presentations made now to apply for travel stipend funds next spring.)